Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Why I Support Self Check-Out in Stores

I was in a Duane Reade store in New York over the weekend.Purchased a few items and went to the check out line. I was the only other customer in the store at the time. The cashier was already assisting a customer so I waited; and waited....and waited. Just about the time I thougth I had waited long enough the manger appeared from the back and he was coming to the front of the store.The cashier suddenly said to the customer she was assisting " Let me take care of the lady behind you."So she moves to he side and the cashier asks me; Are you ready?" My response was " I've been ready." to which she just shrugged.
I have seen this behavior in many stores where you have to wait in long lines for customer assisance in stores and in the post office.
Fortunately, in a store near where I work the CVS has engineered Self-Check out which turned out to be a great hit in the area.
Last month I saw an article where a chain fo stores was cancelling self-check out in oder to implement more personal contact between customers and cashiers.
I am not at all against human contact but I have observed in many occasions  a clerk/cashier will purposefully ignore a customer waiting to be helped in order to continue fraternizing ( in some cases) with one customer because they are friends. In the case with the Duane Reade cashier, the customer she was dealing with needed assistance with her camera. Well the cashier in question was not a camera expert based on her answers to the lady's questions/ She could have easily asked her to step aside and allow her to assist me and then continue afterwards. As we see though the manager had to appear on the scene to cause the woman to be willing to correct her error.
In a self-check out scenario  no waiting would have been necessary.
As Christians we know patience is a virtue and oftentimes the  Lord will put us in a situation where we must be patient and wait for something.
That's good because our flesh needs to be tempered and under control.
However there are other times when no waiting is necessary. You're up next go for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment