Saturday, September 3, 2011

Authenticity grows from the ground up at NaturalNews - here's what I harvested from my garden and my free-range chickens

by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger, NaturalNews Editor

(NaturalNews) Since hanging out in Texas over the last few months, I've been working hard on my garden, improving the soil, and raising my chickens which are now producing eggs. Yesterday I made an omelet with my farm-fresh eggs and herbs picked right out of the garden. Check out the picture below of some of what I'm harvesting right now.

You see, I believe in living the lifestyle I promote: Growing our own food, avoiding processed foods and GMOs and raising our own farm animals if we eat animal products such as eggs, raw milk or butter (or even meat, for that matter). At the same time that I'm running NaturalNews and coordinating all the efforts of the numerous writers who contribute articles to the website, I'm (somehow) making time to get into the garden, raise some chickens, harvest heirloom seeds and get time outdoors in the sunshine.

My schedule isn't perfect, and my diet isn't perfect either, but it's constantly improving now as I grow more of my own food and learn permaculture techniques that can be used in Central Texas.

Following the principles of permaculture

I've been reading more from Bill Mollison, the "grandfather" of modern permaculture, who teaches us ways to mimic nature in creating food forests that conserve water without relying on a complicated system of pumps and electrical components. Probably the best book to learn more about permaculture is simply called Introduction to Permaculture (http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-...).

Given that I'm living through the worst drought in the history of Texas, I'm finding these water conservation techniques to be extremely valuable. I'm also investing quite a lot of time and money in improving the land around us to capture more water, and I've been studying up on rainwater collection systems which I plan to implement soon.

Solar systems are on the way after that, too. I did have a very functional solar system when I lived in South America, but sold that to a friend down there who now runs on solar, so even that system is being put to good use!

I probably don't share all this often enough with NaturalNews readers because I'm so busy reporting on food freedom, fighting against Monsanto, exposing the FDA's assault in medicinal herbs and nutritional supplements, and so on. But every day, I take care of our chickens which are 100% free-range chickens who spend most of their days wandering the grounds eating bugs.

One time after a rain, a couple of the chickens got sick (they were coughing, wheezing, and had a weird issue with their eyes staying shut), so my wife and I boiled up some Chinese medicine formulas, then we used droppers to feed this medicine to our chickens (these were the Americana breed, which get sick more easily), who fully recovered in a few days.

When I make smoothies, I sometimes use raw chicken eggs that I harvested that day. To hear the USDA or the FDA says it, I must be dead from salmonella poisoning, OMG! But no, these eggs are perfectly safe, and I don't wash them, nor do I cook them. I just drink 'em raw as they were supposed to be eaten, including the yolks and all.

The feed that we provide our chickens is 100% certified organic and non-GMO, and that provides about half their diet (the other half is free-ranging). We have Americanas, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and Golden Sexlinks. They're super friendly and we can often just pick them up. I'll probably shoot a video of this soon so that you can meet my chickens!

Plus, I want to show you how CLEAN the eggs are that we get. They're perfectly clean, and almost never need washing, and their yolks are a deep yellow, almost an orange color.

Check out the picture below of some of what I harvested out of the garden yesterday:



I encourage you to grow your own chickens and garden vegetables as much as possible. Follow the techniques of permaculture, folks. It really works. Read the books by Bill Mollison. Conserve water. Just Say No to GMOs, as my song says: www.NaturalNews.com/NoGMO

And remember to use only non-hybrid seeds in your garden!

It's important to follow what we publicly advocate to others

This is the life I live, folks. I practice what I preach. I don't live in a fancy house or drive a fancy car. My clothes are outdated and well worn. I don't wear bling or fancy jewelry. I support local ranchers and frequently visit the farmer's markets in Austin where I support local producers of food. I do all this because this is what I believe in, and I vote with my dollars to support the kind of companies I want to see become more successful.

I also support many online providers of superfood products, like Boku Superfood (www.BokuSuperfood.com) and Living Fuel (www.LivingFuel.com). I support the honest labeling of all GMOs -- something that the FDA refuses to even allow.

On top of all that, I run NaturalNews and try to find enough time to be a guest on Alex Jones, or RT America, or Coast to Coast AM, or other shows that are open to having truthful guests who work hard to expose the corruption of the conventional food and medical industries. For eight years I've worked 16 hour days to fight for food freedom, health freedom and liberty in general, and at the end of the day, I feel extremely honored to have such a large number of NaturalNews readers who recognize authenticity when they see it. Thank you for your support!

Watch for more videos here on NaturalNews in the near future, where I'll be featuring some footage of my chickens and egg harvesting. Oh yeah, I might even show you the John Deere tractor on this ranch if you wanna see that. It's funny, too, because while I see so many people playing Farmville on Facebook (and there's nothing wrong with that), I spend my days actually playing real life FARM in Texas. It's extremely rewarding, but also loads of hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment