Saturday, November 3, 2012

My Experience With Sandy

 My boss sent a text asking if I could come into work on Sunday 10/28/12 at 9pm. I said sure and she told me what post I would be working. We do security for AlliedBarton at a large law firm in midtown Manhattan. 
We knew Sandy was coming, I had heard all of the reports of how a "perfect storm" it was going to be. Some were calling it " Frankenstorm". So I was expecting whatever would happen to happen but I prayed and trusted the Lord to take care of me and all those for whom I prayed as well as the storm itself. No matter who does what God ALWAYS has the last word.
Remember, he is the Alpha and the Omega ( Rev. 1:8).
 So we're at work Sunday evening at 9pm until Monday morning 9am and it's raining hard, the building is swaying back and forth with the wind. Monday after 9am I go off duty and sleep in the LDR, which is a large meeting room with sofas. By this time there are no trains and as I look out of the windows no traffic of any kind except a few cars here and there. Needless to say I was at work from Sunday evening to Wednesday morning. It rained very hard on Monday and the wind was very severe. 
All of the firm's employees had left the building except a few maintenance men and the lobby security officers, the building manger and my boss, two other officers and myself.
All transportation was suspended. I found our from one of the officers that all of Manhattan from the southern tip to 42nd street was in darkness. So I called the lobby of the building where I live and no answer, it was true ; there was no electricity.
 By Tuesday the rain had stopped somewhat so our District Manager was able to pick up two other officers to come into work. So my boss sent me home Wednesday morning. After climbing 17 flights of stairs in the dark I reached my apartment to find it safe, dry and no broken windows. I was just so grateful to be home, and I was very thankful for my flashlight. 
Well I went up and down those flights of stairs in darkness four more times until Friday.
On my return to work Wednesday night I took a taxi because I didn't see any buses even though buses were provided to transport people in place of the absent trains. It was my first time seeing how dark it was until we got up to Grand Central ( an eerie sight ). On getting into to work Thursday night, I saw  buses so I took one ; during this time the buses were FREE ; a small consolation prize which I appreciated.
I was told that the Hudson River overflowed onto Tenth Ave. and they also lost power. 
Praise the Lord power was returned on Friday at about 8 pm. I heard some people celebrating. And even now as I type this I hear someone on my floor with their door open playing some type of "music" It is 2:39 am.
I am TRULY glad this storm is over but I know something could happen to bring us back to a reality that we need to hear God's voice in all this and respond to his call on our lives.
After the lights were on I resumed reading the chapters in Ezekiel that I had gotten up to. Chapters 6-8 on God's judgment on Israel for not obeying his commands and keeping his statutes.
I pray that people wont say " whew, we made it through this one. It's over " I know many will but for those reading this account of my story, don't let your hearts grow cold to the mercy of God. Hear his call now and respond positively. Jesus Christ is coming back soon. All of the signs are pointing to his eminent return. 
The Bible promises that he would save his people from their sins. Let him save YOU from your sins, now while there is time. 







1 comment:

  1. Praise GOD that you are OK! Was very relieved to see your new posts!!

    ReplyDelete